About Me

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Mobile Mantra

Its 10 past 10, you remember the meeting was at a quarter to and then panic strikes: What will one say!! Imagine coming face to face with the grumbling MD, this was an important one. And out you whip your mobile messiah, lies that lie close at hand. Stuck in traffic, was unable to get through, bad signal area!! Absolution and that too anonymously. Mobiles have not only given us instant communication but instant communion and confessional as well.

What if mobiles could talk to each other. Share the true thoughts of their owners. The millions who have no fingerprints left and no conscience.

SMS: Grt party last night (Mobile: Yup he smsd 30 ppl about the bad food!)
SMS: Sorry not too well going to bed early (The wife’s just offered him sex after a decade !)
SMS: Stuck in traffic (Still at home)
SMS: Lets catch up soon!! (don’t want to see you in a hurry)
SMS: Can we delay by 15 minutes (The presentation is still not ready)
SMS: What are u up to ?? (I’m bored with my lunch date/my work/ my life)

Could we do all this face to face, or have mobiles helped in removing our conscience as well. How many times has truthfulness, been replaced by 160 characters of pulp fiction. I once had a colleague who even found a novel way of sending sympathetic messages of self pity to dear friends that unfortunately made there way to me her bosses phone! If her phone had a conscience it would have died on her. I have classified my mobile friends into categories.

Forwarding friends: The ones who have the maximum spare time on there hands! Either they are out of work or out of whack or disguised employees of mobile companies!!

Spelling bees: D 1 who kild d dctnry

Hindi homelands: Zinke msg bhasha ki instant khicdi karte hoon aur grammar ka bhi!

Below jobs: The blackberry keyboard texters under the rim of meeting tables!

Perpetual procrastinators: I’ll get back to u!

There are many more but let this not dissuade my friends from sending me congratulatory messages on this column!

Beep beep : Oops that’s my mobile! Kindly pay ur bill by today or phone will be disconnected

Got to go!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the categories and I guess I will fall under procrastinator.
Actually, regarding conscience, there is a pretty interesting right hand/left hand column technique that Shell pioneered that gets to what is going on under the surface. It is a technique routinely used to resolve business issues, especially seemingly intractible ones where is a preponderence of passive-aggressive behavior.
Of course, if you want more detail on it, you will get it by 2011. Wouldnt that be consistent with my personality?!!!
Keep blogging.
Mohit.